[SMK] Social Media Knowledge


Facebook begins Original Programming

Facebook has thrown down the gauntlet to streaming, by unveiling its own original video content, produced exclusively by its partners.


Facebook has rolled out original content to a small group of U.S. users via desktop, mobile, and TV apps, and it knows how to thank its partners.

Facebook’s production partners will earn 55% of ad break revenue as Facebook retains the remaining 45%, all made available through the brand new “Watch” tab to be found on Facebook homepages.

With the adaptation of sharing and likes to original programing, along with categories such as “Most Talked About,” “Shows Your Friends Are Watching,” and “What’s Making People Laugh,” publishers will be able to ensure a great deal more penetration and buzz.

The Lineup

A sample list has been announced, and though not exhaustive, the following will be in the leading lineup: A&E’s “Bae or Bail”, All Def Digital’s “Inside the Office”, and Billboard’s “How it Went Down”.

At present, programing is focusing on mini-docs, reality shows, and sports coverage, keeping away from longer scripted formats.

Facebook is primarily focused on a direct payment model with intentions of a revenue-share model in the future to make programing more sustainable.

The new draw of programing could ensure further penetration of existing news feeds, creating a self-cycling culture for even more consistent page traffic.

Facebook may be about to explode with a trifecta of content feeds, sharing, and programing. We’ll just have to tune in to find out.

Are you ready for original getting your programing through Facebook? Is it too much or overdue? Let us know what you think in our comments below.

Learn with SMK through April

Start your SMK: Digital Excellence 7-day free trial today and unlock unlimited, on-demand access to hundreds of hours of digital masterclasses, training courses and hands-on tutorials.

Your risk-free trial offers the perfect opportunity to expand and upgrade your digital intellectual property.

Each month SMK releases 30 hours of new and updated social media and digital marketing educational course content, ensuring you never get left behind – be it on digital strategy, tactics or implementation.

Alongside this, SMK offers live help and support weekly within the SMK Working Group. It might be a quick fix or the root of a bigger problem; either way, a problem shared is a problem halved. On a day-to-day basis, SMK’s team gives you hands-on support and fresh ideas.

Not to mention a shoulder to cry on, occasionally.

April's Courses, Live Help & Support Options

Live Member Clinics every Monday & Tuesday from 1 pm – 2 pm AEST

  • Live help and support from SMK’s team of analysts.
  • Book in to request a personalised discussion for 15 or 30m via Zoom within the Facebook Working Group.

Weekly Technical Labs: Meta Business Suite on Wednesdays from 1 pm – 2 pm AEST

  • Technical Labs explore the technological process and workflows related to key digital marketing activities.

Google Analytics 4, Data Analysis & Evaluation Masterclass on Thursdays from 10 am – 12 pm AEST

  • Module 1: GA4 Optimisation, Key Features, Tools & Reports
  • Module 2: Setting up GA4 Conversions & Understanding Analytics Events
  • Module Three: Analytics campaign tracking and report analysis
  • Module Four: GA4 report round-up, conversion attribution & visualisation

Influencer Marketing Masterclass: Organic, Paid & Commerce on Fridays from 10 am – 12 pm AEST

  • Module 1: 2024 Influencer Marketing Trends, Forecasts & Opportunities
  • Module 2: Organic Influencer Marketing Best Practices
  • Module 3: Optimising Influencer Campaigns With Social Ads
  • Module 4: Evaluation, Reporting and Influencer Commerce

Leave a Comment